Saturday, October 22, 2011

The power of mind

Everyone knows that placebo drugs work and now it's been also proven that placebo surgeries can significantly alleviate for example Parkinson's and heart disease symptoms. The power of mind affects the immune system and endocrine system in many ways.

Did you know that the placebo effect has an evil brother, the nocebo effect? If you have negative expectations, the outcome of treatment will make you feel worse and more ill. Patiens having placebo drugs tend to have just the side symptoms that they are warned about.

It has been discovered that people who think their health is poor will die 10 years sooner than those who think their health is excellent, despite their actual health state.

If I change my mind, it will affect my chemistry, which will change the fate of my cells. If I'm afraid, it will cause my body to make stress hormones, which go to my blood and affect the cells of my body to protect instead of growing, which in turn changes genetic activity and shuts off the immune system to conserve energy. Being afraid or stressed exposes us to disease. The way we believe actually overrides the biological system of the body.

I've got some experience about this. A few years ago it happened that I got a cold only once a year. Since then I've believed that I only have a flu once or twice a year and that has also happened.

I used to be the most negative and cynical person until I started to change my thoughts. I was about 24 years old when I began this and I had suffered from negative thinking my entire life. I'm not saying I'm completely cured since every now and then I tend to think in the most terrible way, but I've improved tremendously. Now this is not an easy thing to change about yourself, but if you can do it, it will change everything. It will change you and your entire future. And you can start now.

No comments:

Post a Comment